Have you spelled embarrass as embarass previously? Don’t be embarrassed…
Have you spelled embarrass as embarass previously? Don’t be embarrassed if you have! It is one challenging English word to spell – but with this article, you’ll learn how to spell embarrass just the right way!
How to Spell Embarrass?
Embarrass means to make someone feel humiliated, awkward, or ashamed either by a situation or particular behavior. When you embarrass someone, you make them feel uncomfortable, disconcerted, or self-conscious.
The word ‘embarrass‘ comes from the French word ‘embarrasser‘, which means to overwhelm with confusion or discomfort. Simply, it means ‘to make someone feel ashamed. ‘ Taking this definition into consideration, ‘embarass‘ and ‘embarras‘ are incorrect spellings because they do not follow the French root of ‘embarrasser‘.
The correct spelling of the word is “E-M-B-A-R-R-A-S-S” with double ‘r’ and double ‘s’. It is a 9-lettered, three-syllable word with six consonants and three vowels. The phonemic pronunciation of embarrass is /ɪmˈbærəs/ with the second syllable stressed as in (em-BAR-rass).
Tips to Remember
The word embarrass is often misspelled even by professional writers. The misspelling is commonly as a result of excluding one ‘r’ or one ‘s,’ as in – embarass or embarras. A simple tip is this: Spell the word embarrass with two ‘r’ and two ‘s.’ Any other spelling asides from this is incorrect and will make your writing look clumsy.
What Part of Speech Is ‘Embarrass?’
Embarrass functions as a verb. It means to make someone feel uncomfortable, shy, or ashamed in a social situation. Synonyms of the word include: humiliate and shame. Embarrass is commonly used in these forms; embarrassed, embarrasses, and embarrassing.
Embarrassing is an adjective that means making one feel nervous, uncomfortable, or ashamed. Synonyms of the word are humiliating and painful. Embarrassed is an adjective – it describes how someone feels.
- I’m sorry; I didn’t intend to embarrass you.
- I’d advise you to withdraw from the competition before you embarrass yourself.
- You can come with me, but you better not embarrass me.
- David was embarrassed; he had to leave the event.
- The team’s performance was embarrassing.
- It was really embarrassing trying to make the governor notice you.
- Ron was embarrassed when the teacher caught him stealing.
- Dave embarrassed his friend by announcing his age to the class.
- The youths severely embarrassed the politician by exposing his past failures and money laundering activities.
- April was embarrassed to tell her friends about her cheating husband.
To Wrap Up
Some English words can be challenging to spell. One such word is embarrass – often spelled as embarass. How to spell embarrass?
Remember, the word must be spelled with double ‘r’ and double ‘s’. This article has provided you with the proper spelling of the word and examples to help you practice.
Frequently asked questions
What are the 100 most misspelled words?
|achieve||i before e||acheive|
Is Embarrassedly a word?
How do you use embarrass in a sentence?
- Let’s just embarrass the poor guy.
- I didn’t mean to embarrass you.
- Furious, Katie left before making more of a scene that would embarrass her sister.
- For some reason, he wanted to make sure he didn’t embarrass her.
- You won’t find me embarrassed by anything I say.
- Is it embarrassing for him?
What are the difficult words to spell?
What is the synonym of embarrass?
Discomfit, embarrass, and disconcert are common synonyms for embarrasting. There are words such as “distressing by confusing or confounding,” but embarrassing implies that it impedes thought, speech, or action.
How do you spell Inbarest?
Make yourself uncomfortable, irritate, and abash: His bad table manners embarrassed her.
How do you remember to spell embarrass?
This is one of those words people find hard to identify. In order to do this, you must use two double-letter sets. On top of two “r”s and two “s”s. Your cheeks will turn red when you die of embarrassment, as you remember, “Really red shows suffering.”.
How is the word embarrassing Spelt?
For the correct answer, it would be ’emarrassment’. Correct spelling is ‘Embarrassment’ among the options offered. Let’s take a look at the meaning and example of the correct word.
What is a spelling mnemonic?
Let children know that a spelling mnemonic helps them remember tricky words. In this phrase, you must emphasize that each word begins with the letter from the tricky word. Show children examples like: the – two heavy elephants. The ants in dresses looked silly.
How can I memorize my spells fast?
- Make short phrases for complicated words. “Necessary = 1 collar and 2 socks (to remember one ‘c’ and two s’s).”.
- You might want to try spelling mnemonics that use an expression. You might find, for example, “Rhythm = Rhythm Helps Your Two Hips Move.”.
- Make up rhymes
- Compose nonsense stories
What is an antonym for Embarrass?
Opposite of to disturb the peace of the mind. appease. calm. clarify. comfort.
How do you spell embarrass in England?
- 1. Flourishing or confusion caused by a feeling of self-consciousness or confusion.
- 2. To engage in financial difficulties (usually passive).
- archaic. Make difficult; complicate.
Is it embarrass or embarass?
Simply put, it means to make someone feel ashamed. As a result, ’embarass’ and ‘imbarras’ are inaccurate spellings despite their lack of the French root meaning’mbarrasser’. Ideally, the word is written in the correct spelling: E-M-B-A-R-Ra-S-S with double ‘r’ and double s’.
What language is embarrass?
French originally used the word embarras as a roadblock or impediment to whatever you wanted to accomplish. About 400 years ago, Shakespeare wrote about the word in English.
What is the verb form of embarrassed?
An embarrass verb (used with an object) is used to cause confusion and shame to; feel uncomfortable and unconcerned; confused; absc: His bad table manners embarrassed her. The act of complicating or proving difficult or complex.