Spelling is an important aspect of communication. Learning to spell words correctly will aid in developing a link between the letters and their sounds.
INK will make sure your text is free of grammar mistakes
Sometimes, pronunciations of words based on classic rules and spellings can be misleading. This is because English has borrowed numerous words from other languages, especially French.
“Machine” is an example of a French-influenced term that many people misspell and mispronounce. This article discusses how to spell machine correctly and avoid errors in writing.
How to Spell Machine Correctly?
“Machine” is a common word that many non-native speakers mispronounce and misspell because of the difference in spelling and pronunciation.
The word “machine” consists of 2 syllables, ma-chine, with the stress on the second syllable. The standard phonetic transcription of the word is məˈʃiːn/, while it is pronounced as muh·sheen.
How to pronounce machine:
- The “a” in the unstressed syllable has a schwa vowel sound.
- Say the “a” with a short u or “uh” sound.
- Pronounce the digraph “ch” with a “sh” sound.
- Stress the “i” in the second syllable.
Ways to Pronounce Ch Words
There are three different ways to pronounce the letter combination or digraph “ch.” They are as follows:
- Most words have a tchsound, like church, child, or champagne. These words are primarily derived from Old English with French or Germanic origin.
- Some words have a ksound, as in school or charisma. These words are mostly of Greek origin.
- Some words are pronounced with a sh sound, such as machine, brochure, or charade. The sh-sound is borrowed from the modern French.
Definition of Machine With Example Sentences
“Machine” can function as a noun or verb. The definitions are stated below, along with examples of using the word in sentences.
As a Noun
A machine is defined as any mechanical device with multiple parts that function together to assist in performing a specific human task.
- We bought a new washing machine last month.
- Please make sure to power off the machine before leaving.
- Our fax machine is not working at the moment.
As a Verb
To manufacture, operate, or shape something by a machine.
- The car engine has been carefully machined.
- The cylinders need to be machined as early as possible.
To Wrap Up
Many English words are derived from the French, Greek, or German languages. The machine is one such word that is not spelled the way it is pronounced.
Therefore, many non-native speakers mistake the spelling due to the confusion of the “ch” sound. This article provides a detailed guide on how to spell machine with example sentences to help learn their usage.
Explore All Spell Check Articles
How to Improve Your Spelling As an Adult
Both native speakers and language learners find English spelling tough to master. Because English is a language that absorbs new…
How to Spell Yesterday — a Quick Spelling Guide
There are times when English can seem confusing. Many of the words in English are freely borrowed from other languages.…
Can’t Spell Review? Read This Right Away!
There are times when English spelling can appear confusing. English borrows many of its words from other languages. This Germanic…
How to Spell None — a Quick Spelling Guide
Sometimes, English spelling can seem perplexing. Many of the words in English originated in other languages. Germanic language English consists…
Having Some Issues? Correct Spelling of Issue!
English may seem confusing at times. Many of the words in English were freely borrowed from other languages. Languages such…
The Correct Way of Spelling Decide!
English spelling can sometimes seem confusing. English borrows many of its words from other languages. English, a Germanic language, consists…