The number 18 is often misspelled in English. Most times,…
The number 18 is often misspelled in English. Most times, it is incorrectly written because a letter or group of letters is omitted or interchanged. So, what is the correct spelling of 18 in words? By the end of this article, you will be stuck with the spelling of 18 and write correctly.
The Spelling of 18 in Words
The most popular misspellings of 18 in words are eigthten, Eigthteen, Eighten, and Eightene. The common misspellings of this word are rather obvious and can be noticeable in writing. However, it is essential to learn how to spell the word the appropriate way.
The number 18 is an abbreviation of the Latin word octo-decim and means eight-ten, which is an easy way to remember the word’s spelling. However, it is wrong to spell it as eightten.
There is only one correct spelling of 18 in word form: Eighteen. This word is only one word but a two-syllabus word and appears in many language vocabularies.
The word eighteen is eight letters long. It has four vowel sounds and four consonants. There are many ways the word occurs. Here are a few examples: eighteen dollars, eighteen-year-old, eighteen-inch, and eighteenth.
- My daughter turns eighteen in two weeks.
- I bought an eighteen-inch television for my family.
- Have you ever seen (or been to) an eighteen-hole golf course?
- At the age of eighteen, our son left home for the university.
- The eighteen-fashion show featured daring ensembles.
- My son attended the eighteen-month-old school.
- I will use the eighteen-inch cruncher to cut the legs off the living room furniture.
- I asked the woman at the eighteen-hour party if she could give me a ride home.
Eighteen (18) Part of Speech?
Eighteen can function as a noun or adjective. As an adjective, it is a cardinal numeral used to denote quantity or an ordinal numeral that expresses a sequence.
As an Adjective
- The eighteenth letter of the alphabet is R.
- I have eighteen dollars to spare for new clothes.
- Do you know that there are eighteen players on each team in Australian Rules Football?
- Horses have eighteen pairs of ribs!
As a Noun
- Eighteen is a unique number.
- In Chinese tradition, eighteen is a lucky number.
- Eighteen is the atomic number for argon – a noble gas.
- Eighteen is the legalized age in most countries of the world.
How to Write 18/18 in Words
18/18 means that 18 divides 18; you can say and write it as eighteen divided by eighteen, or eighteen over eighteen. Eighteen-Eighteenths is a more proper and unique way of expressing and writing 18/18 in words.
To Wrap Up
‘Eighteen’ — is the correct spelling for 18 in proper English words. The word is an 8-lettered word, consisting of four vowels and four consonants. It is wrong to spell it as eigthteen or eightten.
Our handy guide includes the proper spelling of 18 in words and examples you can practice with. Hope you find it helpful!