When you are writing something in English, spelling out numbers can be tricky. Do you need to register it in digits or with words? Well, the answer is it depends on the context.
We will explain these circumstances in full detail below. Today, we are going to take a look at the spelling of ninety or 90. Or is it nineteen?
By the end of this article, you will have a complete understanding of the word’s correct spelling.
When to Spell Out Numbers in Sentences?
The rules regarding this matter in English can be a little ambiguous. To be perfectly honest, there aren’t rules set in stone on whether to use digits or spelling out. However, we follow common sense when it comes to numerals.
There are some general tips you can follow when it comes to numerals, though.
- It would be best if you didn’t spell out larger numerals than 100. In this case, ninety would be written as-is.
- If you are dealing with decimals, make sure you use digits.
- If there are two numbers in a row, make sure you use digits for one and text for the other to avoid confusion.
- Century and decades should be written in text.
Below you may find some example sentences to solidify the points we stated above:
- The reconstruction of the townhouse cost more than twenty thousand four hundred ninety-nine dollars.
This isn’t correct. Since the amount of reconstruction is substantial, you shouldn’t spell out the whole amount; instead, you should use digits.
- The reconstruction of the townhouse cost more than t$20,499.
This version is a lot more straightforward for the reader, who can easily see the whole amount instead of engaging in mental gymnastics.
- After we stopped using leaded gasoline, the IQ of children in the US increased by more than five point six percent.
This is also not the correct way to write this sentence. The example below is better:
- After we stopped using leaded gasoline, the IQ of children in the US increased by more than 5.6%.
Spelling out dates, especially in centuries and decades, should be your preferred method.
Spelling of Ninety
The definition of ninety is as one more than eighty-nine. Another definition is to say that it is one less than ninety-one.
The word ninety is commonly misspelled as ninty, which is, of course, a typo. It is not the correct thing to write.
You should spell out the word ninety if you are stating it as a whole, not a decimal.
So, as an example, if you are going to say ninety point five percent, you should write it as 90.5%.
The phonetic spelling of ninety is nIEn-tee.
To Wrap Up
In the English language, ninety is spelled “ninety”. This is for the most part an accepted practice and is correct.
Explore All Spell Check Articles
Both native speakers and language learners find English spelling tough to master. Because English is a language that absorbs new…
There are times when English can seem confusing. Many of the words in English are freely borrowed from other languages.…
There are times when English spelling can appear confusing. English borrows many of its words from other languages. This Germanic…
Sometimes, English spelling can seem perplexing. Many of the words in English originated in other languages. Germanic language English consists…
English may seem confusing at times. Many of the words in English were freely borrowed from other languages. Languages such…