Interviewers may not only ask questions about the candidate’s skills,…
Interviewers may not only ask questions about the candidate’s skills, qualifications, and experiences. They may ask brain teasers to test your quick-thinking, problem-solving, and critical thinking abilities. Some hiring managers ask funny interview questions to get the conversation flowing and make the interview more enjoyable.
In this guide, we’ll look at some of the funny questions interviewers ask and tips on how to answer them.
3 Top Funny Interview Questions and Answers
1. What’s the color of money?
An interviewer may ask you this question to determine your overall view of the global economy. When you respond correctly, your employer knows that you think about the world and not only the place you live. This indicates that you are well-rounded in your views.
Sample answer: “The color of money varies based on the country. For instance, money in the United States is green, whereas money in Canada comes in many colors.”
2. If you could have any superhero power, what would it be and why?
Your response to this question gives the interviewer a glimpse into your priorities and personality. You should choose a superpower that aligns with the role or has more significant potential in the business world. The superpower ‘invisibility’ might not be a great answer to this question. It will portray you as sneaky and untrustworthy.
Sample answer: I’d like the ability to understand and translate any language, whether written, spoken, or physical, e.g., body language. The benefits of speaking multiple languages are undeniable in a global economy. With my ability to understand any language, I could serve as a bridge between people and help solve many problems.”
3. What two items would you want to have with you if you were shipwrecked on an Island with food and water available?
Interviewers may ask this question to assess your logical thinking, innovativeness, and creativity. It also helps the hiring manager determine your priorities. Mentioning that you need a laptop and a Kindle with unlimited books will portray you differently from someone that says they want music.
Sample answer: “I would like to bring a wifi-enabled laptop with a wind generator, so I can charge the batteries, and also a lighter. I can conduct my work and keep in touch with friends via my laptop. And I can start fires using the lighter and remain warm at night.”
20 More Funny Interview Questions
- Why are manholes round?
- Imagine someone gave you an elephant. You aren’t allowed to sell it or give it away. What would you do with it?
- If you could compare yourself to an animal, what would it be and why?
- What would you do if you found a penguin in the freezer?
- Describe the color red without using any color name.
- What would you do if you were the only survivor of a plane crash?
- If you could choose one song to play every time you walked into a room, what song would you choose and why?
- Are you a gatherer or a hunter?
- What is the funniest thing that happened to you recently?
- How do you think people would communicate in a perfect world?
- What do you think about when you are alone in a car?
- Would you relive your days in high school if you could?
- If you were a tree, what kind would you be and why?
- What would your eulogy say?
- If I gave you $50,000 to start your own business, what business would you start?
- If you had a time machine, would you travel to the future or back to the past?
- What fictional character do you identify with the most and why?
- Describe the purpose of this job to someone from another planet.
- What kid’s movie is scary to you?
- What would you do if you had to work but didn’t need the money?
Tips for Answering Funny Interview Questions
1. Think before you answer
You want to provide the best answer that reflects your true personality to the interviewer. Ensure that you understand the question and ask for clarity if you’re unsure what the interviewer is asking. They might provide information that’ll help you give the expected answer. Organize your thoughts and be confident before you answer any questions.
2. Be honest
Some questions can be tricky, but it’s important to remember that the interviewer wants to get a sense of your personality. There are no wrong answers, but be honest with your responses.
3. Describe your thinking process
Tell the interviewer what steps you took to come up with your conclusion when presenting your response. The steps you took to arrive at an answer are more important than the outcome since they demonstrate your thought pattern and approach. Describing the process will help the interviewer gain insights into your critical thinking abilities.
To Wrap Up
Not all interviewers ask standard questions that assess your skills and educational qualifications. Some interviewers may ask funny questions to determine your personality, creativity, and logical thinking skills.
This guide will give you a glimpse into funny questions interviewers are likely to ask and tips for providing the best answers.
Frequently asked questions
What is a unique interview question?
Asking a candidate about a challenge they’ve had in the past isn’t a bad question, but these unique interview questions can give you more insight into their thinking process. I’d like to know a time when you were the hero in your workplace. What were the times you weren’t happy with your work?
What are the top 20 interview questions?
- Please tell me about yourself.
- Interview Questions and Best Answers.
- Describe your responsibilities
- How did you deal with your major challenges and problems?
- What was your starting and final compensation?
- What do you like or dislike about your previous job?
What are the worst interview questions?
- In five years, where do you see yourself?
- What kind of career did your childhood shape?
- Do you have a favorite arch-nemesis?
- What makes you hire me?
- Let us describe yourself in one sentence.
- Where do you live?
- What is your biggest weakness?
What are the 5 hardest interview questions?
- What do you want to do in three to five years?
- What’s the point of hiring you?
- Is there any salary you think you deserve?
- What do you find to be your greatest weakness? Strelka Institute/Flickr.
- What did you dislike most about your last job?
What are some fun interview questions?
- There are a lot of pizzas in the U.S. each year?” .
- I asked, “What was the last gift you gave someone?”.”.
- If you had to choose between two superpowers, being invisible or flying, which would you choose?”.
- If you could compare yourself with any animal, which one would you choose and why?”.
What are killer questions?
Questions that are used to sort candidates. Candidates who incorrectly answer questions are rejected at this point.
What are nonsense interview questions?
- Why are you here today?
- You can select a song that best describes you.
- Does it matter if you prefer cats or dogs?
- What was the most difficult experience you’ve had in your personal life?
- What football team do you support?
- Which would you be if you could be Batman or Robin?
What are some unique questions?
- What was the meanest thing you’ve ever done to someone to get back at them?
- What cartoon do you still like to watch?
- Do you have any ridiculous goals in life?
- What’s the most spontaneous thing you have ever done?
- Do you want to have a personality trait?
What is Elon Musk’s favorite interview question?
I walk one mile south. According to his biography, many of those who sat across from Musk would be asked his favorite brain teaser interview question: “You’re standing on the surface of the earth. There are three miles of walking to your south, west, and north. You stay exactly where you started.
Why do interviewers ask crazy questions?
Interviewers often ask weird questions to find out if candidates fit well with the company culture and employees. Additionally, employers ask weird interview questions to test prospective candidates’ critical and analytical thinking skills.
What is the weirdest interview question?
- If you were on a deserted island, what would you love less than food and water?
- A pizza is ordered every night in the United States.
- Blue or green?
- Would you do anything if you won the lottery?
- Do you know how many basketballs can fit on a bus?