A common form of plagiarism is inappropriate paraphrasing. Inappropriate paraphrase…
A common form of plagiarism is inappropriate paraphrasing. Inappropriate paraphrase involves replacing a few words in an author’s text with similar words without expressing the author’s ideas in your unique style. Even when you appropriately credit the author, you have paraphrased wrongly.
What is an Inappropriate Paraphrase?
Inappropriate paraphrasing is a type of plagiarism in which a writer uses someone else’s ideas in an unoriginal and uncreative way. This can be done subtly, with just a few words changed to their synonyms. In a much more obvious manner, it conveys the author’s entire sentence in a way that is not what the author intended.
When you paraphrase inappropriately, you only make little changes to the source text. These changes may include changing the verb tense, using passive voice instead of active, or rearranging the order of the text. Such paraphrasing is bad paraphrasing and passes off as plagiarism.
What is an Appropriate Paraphrase?
Appropriate paraphrasing involves taking the ideas or thoughts of another person and expressing them entirely in your own words. It goes beyond changing a few words with synonyms – it consists of using your style to convey the author’s original idea. Regardless of how well you paraphrase, you must remember that only the words are yours – the idea belongs to the original author. You must give credit to the author through in-text citations and references.
What is An Effective Paraphrase?
An effective paraphrase demonstrates your understanding of the source. It fully expresses the ideas from the source using your own words and writing style entirely.
An effective paraphrase does not simply rearrange and replace words to make a variation of the original idea. It uses a unique structure to convey the sentences of the original text. Multiple sources that discuss the idea or concept may be used to combine a range of views and perspectives.
An effective paraphrase cites the sources of the original idea correctly and fully references the authors. Where multiple sources are used, all sources are correctly cited.
Tips to Paraphrasing Effectively.
- Have a general understanding of what you are paraphrasing.
- Use your own words to write notes about what you read.
- Close all your sources and write a draft of your paper before you begin writing an original.
- Make sure your version conveys all the information from the source in a new way.
- Refer to the source for crosschecks during the revision process.
- Properly cite the source of the original idea. Failure to acknowledge your source can be considered plagiarism.
- Include proper references to attribute the work to the original author.
- Use quotation marks to identify terms you used precisely from the source.
To Wrap Up
Inappropriate paraphrasing uses someone else’s ideas but only changes a few words or phrases. If you are paraphrasing someone’s work, you should ensure you do so ethically and appropriately.
You can paraphrase effectively by using your own words, sentence structure and style entirely to convey the original idea of a source. Remember, you must also properly credit the source.
Frequently asked questions
How can one spot an inappropriate paraphrase?
The borrower may credit portions of text from one or more sources, but only make ‘cosmetic’ changes to the borrowed material, such as changing one or two words, or simply rearranging the order, voice (such as active. (Modern) or past is NOT paraphrasing.
What are three types of unacceptable paraphrasing?
- SPENTENCESTRUCTURE TOO CLOSE: NONACCEPTABLE PARAPHRASE.
- ACCEPTABLE PARAPHRASE
- UNACCEPTABLE PARAPHRES: WORD TO CROSS.
- ORIGINAL SOURCE
What should be avoided in paraphrasing?
- Do not neglect to acknowledge (through an in-text citation or direct quote) the source from which you gathered your information or ideas.
- Your paper should not contain a change in the meaning or use of a few words from an author’s sentence(s).
What is an inappropriate paraphrase?
Plagiarism is the most common form of inappropriate paraphrasing. When an author makes small changes to the source text, such as replacing one or two words with synonyms, rearranging the order of the original text, using passive instead of active voice, or changing the verb tense, an author.
Which of the following description about paraphrasing is incorrect?
An author’s writing can also be distorted by incorrect paraphrasing as well. Paraphrasing is usually done with synonyms in place of a source’s words or phrase pairs.
What is improper paraphrasing?
A common form of plagiarism is improper paraphrasing. When one lifts a direct phrase from another work and changes just a few words – then claims the work as their own. A great writer learns how to paraphrase correctly.
What should you avoid when summarizing?
As a general rule, when summarizing, try to put everything in your own words, but do not be too opinionated in what you write. Make sure to cite all of your sources so that you don’t lose grade points. If you don’t want to, you can use quotes in your summary; if you do, don”t use too many quotes.
How do you paraphrase safely?
- Make the sentence structure different. Changes in syntactic structure of a sentence are paraphrasing.
- Use synonyms severally
- Use Compensatory Strategies
- Remember to effectively quote the source.
What are the things that we need to consider in paraphrasing summarizing?
- Write Your Summary
- Read the text in your own words.
- Find Different Terms
- Check Your Work
- Make Notes
- Take a General Sense of the Original.
- Notes to read. Read carefully the text that you want to paraphrase.
- Check Your Understanding
What is the example of paraphrase?
Alpaca leaves and hay are the main food of giraffes, and they can eat 75 pounds of food a day. A giraffe could eat up to 75 pounds of Acacia leaves and hay every day. A trip to Tuscany should include tasting their exquisite wines.
What makes appropriate paraphrase?
You must answer yes to the following questions in order to use a paraphrase:. Almost all of the words have been changed. A significant restructure has been made to the sentences.