A Technical Project Manager has the formidable task of transforming ideas into actionable output that delivers tangible results.
As a leader in any organization, having a comprehensive understanding of the responsibilities associated with the role will ensure projects are completed efficiently. And a well-defined job description technical project manager can help with this.
The job description sets expectations for employees and stakeholders alike, allowing for clearer communication throughout the life cycle of a project. Read on for a look into the qualifications and responsibilities this role entails, along with a great job description sample!
Who Is Qualified To Be a Technical Project Manager?
A successful technical project manager requires diverse skills and knowledge to thrive. In order to excel in this role, candidates must possess a combination of technical acumen, communication savvy, problem-solving prowess, and organizational finesse.
A deep understanding of the project management process is also essential, from conceptualizing the overall scope and objectives to outlining clear steps for completion. They should have an aptitude for leveraging technology effectively to streamline workflows and maximize productivity.
Finally, effective technical project managers can deftly navigate interpersonal dynamics between teams and stakeholders while remaining agile in response to changes that may arise.
What Does a Technical Project Manager Do?
A Technical Project Manager (TPM) oversees the technical aspects of projects, from conceptualization to completion. Their output includes managing teams and resources while ensuring that projects are completed on time, within budget, and meet all specifications.
Additionally, TPMs often track progress, generate reports, analyze data, and ensure stakeholders’ requirements are met.
Job Description Technical Project Manager Example
A Technical Project Manager manages the successful execution of software development projects. The ideal candidate should possess extensive experience in project management and have a deep understanding of technical aspects related to software engineering. They must be able to build relationships with clients, vendors, engineers, and senior management.
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology, computer science, or equivalent qualification
- 7+ years experience in software engineering project management
- Demonstrable proficiency in Agile methodologies, such as Scrum and Kanban
- Proven track record of leading complex IT projects from inception to completion
- Outstanding communication and organizational skills
- Analytically minded with attention to detail
- Exceptional problem-solving abilities and resiliency
- Ability to remain agile and adjust plans based on changing circumstances
- Proficiency in all relevant tools & technologies (e.g., JIRA)
- Lead large-scale technical projects from conception through implementation
- Establish strategies to reach objectives effectively by adhering to timelines and budgets
- Develop project plans outlining goals, resources, deliverables, timeline, and budget
- Oversee recruitment and onboarding of new employees
- Monitor progress and assess performance regularly, providing regular reports to stakeholders
- Ensure that quality standards are met throughout all stages of the project lifecycle
- Identify potential risks and take steps to address them proactively
- Facilitate inter-team collaboration while resolving conflicts swiftly
- Communicate regularly with team members and stakeholders to ensure transparency
It is crucial to ensure that all team members know their roles and the responsibilities that come with them. And this is where the job description technical project manager comes in.
This document should outline a technical project manager’s scope of work, goals, timelines, and deliverables. Clearly defining expectations, roles and responsibilities allow applicants to understand their part in completing the project effectively. And this results in greater efficiency and cost savings.
Explore All Write Job Descriptions Articles
Guide to Good Supply Management Job Description
Are you someone who likes to get things done? Do you have a knack for organization and supply management? Then…
Free and Effective Sous Chef Job Description
The sous chef is part of the most critical positions in a kitchen. This role is responsible for leading the…
Free Effective Senior IT Manager Job Description
Are you considering a career in IT Management? Are you curious about the responsibilities of a Senior IT Manager? This…
Better Sales Officer Job Description for Resume
Are you looking for a career in sales? The job of a Sales Agent is an ideal choice. But if…
Free Professional Retail Manager Job Description
So, you’ve decided to become a retail general manager? Good job! You’re in for an exciting and rewarding career. As…
Guide to Pleasant Real Estate Job Description
Real estate salespeople are essential members of the real estate team, helping home buyers and sellers achieve their goals. Are…