Are you confused about how to report a Facebook hack? This article is for you.
Facebook is one of the most popular social media sites worldwide. The platform has more than a billion users worldwide, making it a logical target for scammers, hackers, and others.
There are numerous ways that hackers can gain access to a Facebook account. It could be through a phishing scam or gaining access to your sensitive personal data.
If your Facebook account is compromised, don’t worry. We’ve covered you. In this article, we will explain how to report and recover a compromised Facebook account and provide you with some vital account security advice.
How to Determine Whether Your Facebook Account Hacked or Compromised
There are various ways to determine if your Facebook account has been hacked or compromised. To determine whether there is unauthorized access to your Facebook account, perform the following:
- Visit your Facebook profile and click the hamburger menu in the upper-right corner.
- Navigate to Settings, then Security and Login.
- Click on the option to view the devices currently logged into your Facebook account.
- If you observe a suspicious-looking device, click the “Not You?”
However, there may be more glaring indications that your Facebook account has been hacked. Indications such as:
- Username or password update.
- Alteration of Name or date of birth
- Friend requests to unknown individuals.
- Your profile contains posts that you did not create.
How to Report a Facebook Hack and Recover Your Account
If you find someone is using your information, you need to report the account.
Step 1: Visit facebook.com/hacked
Step 2: Choose an explanation from the choices offered. Once done, click “Continue.”
Step 3: This will direct you to your account’s security settings. Select “Get Started.”
Step 4: The tool will analyze all apps, passwords, and email addresses, among other things.
After this is finished, accept to change your password and review your email address.
Step 5: Follow the on-screen instructions and click “Continue” to regain your Facebook account.
However, if the email address linked with your Facebook account has changed, you must retrieve it.
When an email address changes, Facebook sends a message to the old email address with a particular link. You can click that link to undo the email address change and restore account security.
Steps to Report an Impersonating Account
Sometimes, you may see a Facebook profile that uses your photo and name to impersonate you. If you or a friend discover such an account, you must take the following steps:
- Navigate to the account’s profile that is impersonating you.
- If you cannot locate the profile, search for it using the individual’s name or ask your friends to send you the profile’s URL.
- Click the profile’s three dots on the cover image.
- Follow the on-screen steps after tapping the “Report button” to report the account impersonating you.
Safety Tips to Prevent Facebook Hack
Online hackers and cyber criminals have access to a staggering number of methods through which they can access a computer or account. Facebook only has the power to help prevent the access of your account when they are told that it has been compromised. These safety tips will help prevent Facebook hack on your account.
1. Sign Out of Your Account When Utilizing a Different Computer
If you are using someone else’s laptop or your office laptop or PC, you should always log out of Facebook to prevent unauthorized access.
2. Secure Your Password
It is essential to utilize a strong password for your Facebook account. Create a password that is simple to remember but complex for others to guess.
Avoid generating a password with your email address, phone number, or date of birth. Constructing a strong password using a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters is usually preferable.
You can use Google Chrome, or Safari’s powerful password suggestion feature to create a password from random characters. You can store it in your Google or iCloud account for easy access.
3. Never Tell Anyone Your Login Information
This is one of the most essential pieces of advice: never share your login information with anyone. This is especially true when using the Internet.
Scammers may develop bogus websites that resemble Facebook and then ask you to enter your email address and password.
Ensure that you are using the correct website at all times. Simply type www.facebook.com into your browser’s address bar to visit Facebook.
4. Examine for Malware and Viruses
It is essential to watch for dangerous malware on your PC. Always scan your computer for viruses, malware, and other threats, and delete them promptly, so your sensitive data remains secure.
5. Activate Notifications
Facebook also allows users to set up notifications for unrecognized login attempts. This security feature warns you whenever a login attempt is made from a new device or web browser. The notices will include information about the location from which a login attempt originated.
Here’s how to activate it:
- Click Security and Login Settings under Settings.
- Scroll to “Get alerts about unknown logins” and click Edit.
- Choose how you wish to get alerts, for as, via email or Facebook notifications on a recognized device.
- When you click “Save Changes,” you activate the notification prompt.
6. Implement Dual Factor Authentication
Facebook has implemented a two-factor authentication option to safeguard your Facebook account. You can enter a specific login code each time you visit your Facebook account via your mobile device or web browser. Follow these steps to activate this feature:
- Access Security and login configurations
- Click Edit next to Two-factor authentication after scrolling down to it.
- Follow the on-screen steps to activate this function by selecting the desired security mechanism.
- Receive Alerts Regarding Unrecognized Logins
To Wrap Up
If your account is hacked or compromised, you will want to report the issue and get it fixed as soon as possible. The steps in the article are an easy way to ensure that your account will be fixed and your account will stay secure.
Explore All Facebook Marketing Articles
How Can I Change My Facebook Password?
Changing your Facebook password is an excellent way to increase the security of your account. Especially if you’ve used the…
Do GIFs Even Function on Facebook Today?
You know you can upload both still and moving images to Facebook. Facebook unveiled a new feature that will enable…
Want To Add Music To Facebook Posts?
Everyone wants to increase the number of people visiting social media pages. Stories enable your friends or followers to get…
How to Find a Facebook Profile From a Picture
There are different methods to search Facebook by image and find someone’s profile on social media. You may have a…
A Guide to Delete Facebook Ads Campaign
When you no longer need a specific ad or campaign on Facebook, it’s best to delete them from your ad…
5 Tips to Offer Better Facebook Targeting
This article outlines effective Facebook targeting tactics to improve traction and ROI while minimizing cost per conversion. The ability to…